Tuesday, June 1, 2010

L

Photobucket
i love the letter L.

i always have. i used to write a cursive, capital L over and over and over all over my paper in big cursive letters that sometimes connected to make a long strew of curly shapes. i love upper case L's and lower case L's, cursive or not. i think the attraction for the non cursive L's come from my math-love. what could be better than a pure, straight line? what about a 90 degree angle? then the cursive--you don't have to stop like you do for C's (i HATE C's), or O's, or U's--it's just one flowing stroke of the pen, just like cursive should be.

the way the letter L fits in my mouth is also especially desirable. i don't know what it is, but i just like the way it feels and sounds gliding across my lips. when words have L's in them, it makes them that much more beautiful.
examples:
lilac
linen
love
lovely (i LOVE this word)
listen
line
lake
last
lily (used to be my favorite name...now it's margaret which questionably has no L's...olivia does though, and that's my next favorite)
little (i call my little one, little love--what a wonderful combination of L's)
leather
lab (either from science or a dog...love it)
leaves
lady
ladle
left
low-key
literacy

and let's be honest--there are soooo many more beautiful L words.

my middle name is elaine, and i had a friend who called me elle (pronounced el) for a little while--it was nice.

you can find a sesame street video about the letter L, crafts with the letter L, and more L activities. how fun!

i am glad the letter L is in our alphabet.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

oh my gosh! I do tooo becasue its my name haha!! if you have a girl you should totally name her L or elle...

MissLillie said...

OMG! My name is Lily.